
The site was originally part of ‘Temora Station’. In the goldmining era, the portion of the Temora goldfield known as ‘The Deep Lead’ was on the southern end of the property. Little is left of the mining activities now, except for some covered shafts and a slight hill several hectares in size, which was the site of an ore-processing plant.
Temora Demonstration Farm was officially opened in November 1912. After much lobbying from the local community, the Station was established ‘to examine the agricultural problems of the district and to demonstrate to farmers the best ways to manage crops which were suited to the district’.
At first, the most important function of the farm was to provide farmers with up-to-date demonstrations of cultivation systems, crop management and nutrition. In addition, ever since its establishment, the Station has tested varieties of wheat, oats, barley, triticale and pulses most suitable for the district, and has worked on the development of pure seed production. Early research also examined crop rotation and the establishment of improved pastures.
Since 1912 the Station has undergone several name changes to arrive at its present title.